Happy Couples Tryin' Out the Happy Couple Goods

It's What Happy Couples Do

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Another Happy Couple Challenger

Hello, Blogosphere! Alisha, here. You might know me from my own fledgling blog, but it's more likely that you are not acquainted with me at all. With that in mind, my first post on the Happy Couples Challenge will be an introduction to me and the other half of my happy couple.


Cam and I met in the summer of 2005 at a Lindy Hop dance. Over the course of the following year we danced, flirted, got to know each other and became friends. We eventually started dating, but it was not supposed to be anything serious. I was leaving for graduate school in Canada in a few short months and we had thought our time together would only be a summer romance. Little did we know then that through great distance, major life changes and a couple of cross-country (and international!) moves later, we would be engaged and preparing to formalize our commitment to each other on May 21, 2011.

Surely more details of our lives will be revealed in the coming month, but that is a pretty good starting point for our lives. Right now, Cam and I are settling into a new life in Central Illinois where I work as an instructor and administrator at a large public university and he works from home as a software developer. We have a little yorkie named Lulu that we lovingly refer to as our "fur-child."

We are in a very busy period right now. Our respective jobs are demanding and planning a wedding long-distance takes careful coordination. But through everything we are trying to remember our spirit as a couple and to bid for connections even when other commodities are in high demand.

I had originally approached this post with the idea that I would start at a particular time or date with a particular set of ideas, stories or incident to share. However, I realized that waiting for a blog-worthy event was contrary to the spirit of this arrangement. Relationships are made of the daily lived experience, not the periodic highlights. Cam and I choose each other every day and our connections are unpredictable, our course unforeseeable but somehow it works. I think this is how most happy couples function: minute to minute, day to day. Suddenly those days have become years and before you know it, you have built a life together.

In that spirit, I look forward to this journey and sharing the giggles, hiccups, connections and misinterpretations that ensue!

More to come...

A

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article. Fascinating to read. I love to read such an excellent article.Simon Thanks! It has made my task more and extra easy. Keep rocking.

    ReplyDelete